Ten years of ‘Keeping Up…’: 7 things the Kardashians have done for us
This Sunday, the 10th anniversary edition of one of the most successful reality TV shows of all time will air, marking a decade of Keeping Up With the Kardashians. Ten whole years of Kim, Khloe, Kourtney, Kylie, Kendall, Kris and their entourage.
In that time, they have become one of the most famous families in the world – so ubiquitous that it became harder not to keep up with the Kardashians. The E! series has made each of them a household name, brought them infinite wealth, and adoration and criticism in equal measure. There have been marriages, divorces, births, feuds, a robbery at gunpoint, a gender transition, and a whole lot of drama.
When asked what her family would do if it were all to be taken from them tomorrow, Kris Jenner said in an interview this week: “Well, we would have the best home movies ever of our life.” Oh yes, the production value on those home vids would be high.
From the moment Kim’s sex tape was “leaked ” (some say with the sole purpose of gaining her the kind of fame her pals Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton were enjoying at the time), the Kardashians have created a new definition of fame and unfortunate incident in Paris aside, they look to have enjoyed every minute of it.
It’s pretty clear what the Kardashians have gained from the past ten years in the spotlight. Their enormous fortune (Forbes estimated in 2016 that Kim alone is worth £40 million) is attributable to clothing lines, iPhone games, emojis, and social media ads among endless other deals.
But what have they brought the rest of the world?
1. Selfies and belfies
The Kardashian girls are the Queens of the selfie. All of their social media pages are predominantly taken up with selfies. Whether their face is covered in blood after a vampire facial (Kim), or they’re just lying in bed definitely not made up at all, definitely having just woken up (Kourtney), or think the world needs to see their new mesh bra (Kylie), they take any opportunity to snap a selfie.
And more than anything they love a nude selfie. It began as a way to flaunt the famous Kardashian curves, but became such a part of their brand that Kim appeared on the front of Paper Magazine completely naked, with her backside oiled and resembling a large conker.
Thanks to the Kardashians, the “belfie” or “bottom selfie” is now a thing. As is a “belfie stick”, here for all your arse photography needs.
They were particularly into taking belfies in swimming pools at one point, and there are now some hotels which have invested in pools with transparent sides to encourage belfie opportunities.
What a time to be alive.
2. Big bums
They have undoubtedly changed society’s perception of the ideal female silhouette. Supporters would say Kim Kardashian’s behind has done a huge amount for women, encouraging them to embrace their curves and love their natural shape.
I for one don’t know any women for whom the Kardashian silhouette is a natural occurrence. Kim’s bum as hard to achieve and unrealistic to aspire to as Cara Delevingne’s thigh gap.
Perfectly sculpted skin became the family’s signature look long ago (can we just take a moment to acknowledge the concept of an entire family having a signature look?).
‘How to contour like Kim Kardashian’ is one of Google’s top searches, and she rakes in the cash with her KKW Beauty Kits which teach normals like us to contour.
4. Co-ordinated family ensembles
You know what they say – the family that dresses together…
5. An awareness of trans issues
When asked recently if they understood why some people think they are to blame for so many young girls being driven towards superficial, unattainable goals, Kim said: “I think we’ve shown so much more positive things. Like Kendall and Kylie’s dad transitioning and people not knowing how to handle that and how to deal with it.”
It’s fair to say that 67-year-old Caitlyn Jenner’s transition put trans issues front and centre. The Kardashian name catapulted the trans conversation into the public domain.
‘You don’t know what life would be like if you always felt like you weren’t yourself,” Kim said of her step father. “As long as he is happy and he wants to live his life, however he wants to live it, that just makes me happy – and I support him 100%.”
6. Some dazzling new insults
- Turbo thot: An acronym for “that ho over there”. According to Kim this refers to “an individual who is particularly fast, in the colloquial and sexual sense of the word”.
- Sus: A shady sort of person. Short for “suspect”.
- Slore: A combination of the words slut and whore.
- Handbag Ho: “A handbag ho is a girl who hooks up with a guy so they will buy them an expensive handbag,” explains Khloé.
7. And brilliant expressions
- Momager: When your mother is also your manager. Naturally.
- Snatched: This can be attributed to anything which looks fierce. You could describe your waist as snatched.
- Bible: A reference to the fact that Americans swear on the Bible in court. If you cry out the word bible before saying something, you really mean it. E.g. When Kendall Jenner was put out that her brother Robert Kardashian had regifted the iPad she bought him to Blac Chyna, she exclaimed: ““Bible — I want my iPad, my pen and my keyboard back.”
- Gives me life: If something particularly pleases you or makes you excited, it can be described as giving you life.